Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Phase in Life



Well, I started my job on June 29th working for Fort Riley, home of the Big Red One. It has been frustrating as I am in-processing. I have discovered things take time when working with the government. I've learn about 150 new army acronyms, I don't have access to my work computer yet so that means I can't do ANYTHING. I meet on a task force of commanders including the chief of staff, colonels, majors, psychiatrists, chaplains, and others, and all eyes are on us as the suicide prevention managers (SPPM). Luckily, I have another suicide prevention manager that is helping me adjust, learn new language and lingo when speaking with these high ranking officials. Right now, I am overcoming the intimidation and trying to educate myself. Currently I am training in DC and things are making a little more sense. The army is really excited to set suicide prevention program managers in place at the high risk posts in the U.S. because suicides are on the rise. I have learned that SPPMs are new guinea pigs because it is a new position. I am not sure how it will be, but we will see. My next task is carrying-out Suicide Prevention Month in September. It is going to be busy, but hopefully wonderful! Wish me luck!

I am also trying to find time to finish up my paper and graduate. I am almost there but it is crunch time. I am also moving, so lets see how I can pull this all together.....ha, anyone have suggestions????

7 comments:

meghan said...

Congrats on the new Job. Sounds like you are super busy.. Good Luck with Graduation!!!

Drew and Stormi said...

I know how intimidating it can be, I worked as a nurse with the Navy in Hawaii. I just addressed everyone as Sir or Ma'am...unless I knew their ranking. Congrats and I hope all goes well with your paper!
-Stormi

Robyn and Anthony said...

Heidi- you are sooo busy! Hang in there, and it will all work out. You are going to do an excellent job. That would be intimidating to remember to say "yes sir" and all that- but down the road I am sure it will become second nature. Best of luck!

Liz said...

Good luck Heidi, and be grateful you're on the civilian side of things. If you mix up a rank, or forget some sort of protocal, no biggie. They may lead you to think it's important for you to remember, but really, they can't do anything to you, and if you're not wearing a uniform, they don't actually care. All you have to do is understand it all. We noticed right away that the military civilian jobs are the best of all worlds. Nice pay, nice benefits, better than regular government jobs, yet no scary obligations. I hope you like it, and are enjoying watching all your years of hard work pay off!!

Schuyler said...

So, I kept trying to get to your blog and then it said it was private. I was really sad because I want to keep in touch with you. So, I decided to try it one more time today and I did it!!! How are you? Sounds a little stressful- new jobs are never fun. I hope it's going better now that it's been over a month. Keep in touch!!

Lindsey said...

You go girl! Hey, we're both involved in military now too, yay!

Whitney said...

You need to update your blog chica!