Well life has been eventful and busy. I am into my job, learning lots of information each day. I recently flew to Albuquerque, NM for an Army Force Health Protection Conference. It was informative and I really enjoyed Albuquerque. I got to take the longest tram in the world to the top of the Sandia mountains. I also ate dinner at the top of the mountain. Yummy. Since my job is new, I am waiting on direction from Washington, DC on more information on reducing suicide rates. This month is Suicide Prevention Month and I have been busy with carrying out activities around post. We had a guest speaker come in, a former professor of mine from K-state. We also put banners all over, put up wellness booths, in the process of conducting a poetry contest with high schools, bringing in a Nascar Simulator, put up a rotating remembrance booth of the soldiers that lost their lives in 2008, wrote an article for the post newspaper, conducted suicide intervention training as I am now a trainer, coordinating activities, and I could go on. I will be relieved once the month is over, however I think some good things are happening. Our remembrance booth is getting recognition everywhere. The commanding general order it to be moved to the most visible place at the Head Quarters. The garrison commander wanted the display at his luncheon with community mayors, and others have ordered and pulled more boots together for us to have multiple displays next year. We call it the "Ghostly Formation". We painted soldier boots white, used a velvet black table cloth, put the 6 pairs a boots on the table along with a plaque of the date and how the soldier killed themselves. It definitely gets people thinking. We could have put the soldier age and race, but it allows people to contemplate and wonder who he or she was, his or her story, and more details. It definitely leaves an impression.
I am pleased that we have had good press so far, as well as many commanders thanking me for coordinating the speaker (my professor) as it was a success. I have some more ideas for next year, but so far it has been going well. I will write more and post more pictures soon! Stay tuned....
5 years ago
2 comments:
Hey, that display sounds very moving. I like that you painted the boots white. That color says so much, and reminds us these soldiers have passed on, but still exsist. That's what it says to me anyway. Sounds like I'm not the only one your display touched. You should post a picture of it.
oh, how I miss Fort Riley! Any hot soliders you have your eye on?! How's the ward? Loved the update!
Post a Comment